My Merry Maybe (Dreamcast) (gamerip) (2003)

This album has three parts: General music (Tracks 1-21), music box arrangements (22-30), and vocals (31-36). The first part sounds gorgeous and sopping with mood, each varying atmosphere and unique sound. The arrangements are also fantastic: Songs will start great and just have this exceptional crescendo pop in. The second part (22-30) with the music box is very pretty, but there's just so much of it that it gets tiring (especially with how long individual tracks are). I will say, 30 is the best of the bunch and it's a nice crowing jewel at the end of the section. The third part (31-36) vocals are the weakest part in my opinion. They sound great, but just don't have that same relaxed beauty found throughout. Overall, exceptional album with some minor peccadillos, but worth an afternoon listen. 9.67/10.

This is one of those album where practically any track can be recommended. To avoid beating the reader over the head, I'll just give a few:
Personal Favorites: Track 4 (bright + dreamy), Track 19 (tense, industrial sound that crescendos brilliantly), Track 30 (best music box track)

Back