Square Resort: Hyper Senshasen (X68000) (gamerip) (1992)

So, this album is interesting. The music was composed by Ryu Umemoto, who has something of a cult following among fans of old synthesizer music. I personally have avoided his albums, not for quality, but rather because he almost exclusively composed for explicit games and I personally avoid these as an Evangelical. Anyway, Square Resort is the only non-nsfw game for which I've seen him compose and after hearing so much praise for him, I have to say that the music is... alright? I'm assuming this isn't his strongest album. The drums are the most salient feature of the entire album (and especially in Stage 2). Aside from that, Unknown 1 and Unknown 3 are also good and have some interesting instrumentation and progression, the latter which is better than one sees on most video game albums. However, while it's all fair enough, nothing particularly blows away and there are certainly many better albums on the X68000. Overall, 7.75/10. Fair enough, but I was expecting better given the fuss. But, I guess every album can't be a composer's magnum opus.

*edit* A good sfw game with a strong Umemoto album is War-torn Versnag. There you can really see his work shine, without venturing into the dark side of old pc gaming.

Last edited:
This album was updated on 4th of January, 2024.

Change Log:
Corrected tags, track order, and added "Ending". (thanks Rainfire5)

Back